Wednesday, July 17, 2013

My First Foray Into "Clean Cosmetics"

At least I've made it to a Tribe game!
I can't believe July is officially half over.  Where is the summer going?  I haven't gone to Cedar Point yet!  The good thing?  PEACHES ARE RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!  I am pretty sure I am the only 26 year old (not for much longer) young professional who drives to Vermillion, Ohio by herself at least once an August to stock up on peaches.  I have grand plans of pies, crumbles, ice cream and muffins that are typically usurped by the fact that all the peaches are gone by day four.  The only evidence of their existence are the pits in my trashcan and the juices still sticky on my hand (and most likely running down my wrist).  Nom noms.


Starting a month ago, I have been mentioning my desire to veer my entire beauty and self-care routine to "clean" products.  It can be overwhelming both on your psyche and your wallet to switch everything over at once.  Thus, I've been doing it piece by piece.  My first batch was my "face" makeup (i.e. foundation/concealer, blush, powder, highlighter).  Based on the countless blogs and reviews praising RMS Beauty's line of... well... all of the above, I ordered some samples from Spirit Beauty Lounge to determine my "Un" Cover Up shade would be 11 and my Lip2Cheek shade would be Modest.  I rounded out the purchases with the much praised Living Luminizer and "Un" Powder.


For the specific ingredient discussion, the story behind how this exceptionally "clean" brand was born from Rose Marie Swift's amazing head, and the scariness behind the additives that are lurking in your current products and amazingly absent from this line please visit RMS Beauty's website.


The words that come to mind when summarizing these products are dewy (if you want them to be), light, and nurturing.  The coconut oil base of the foundation, blush and highlighter help soothe my skin.  It doesn't feel as if makeup is sitting ON your skin but, rather, the products are being absorbed by your skin.  It sounds very "mumbo jumbo-ish"; however, I can feel my skin being able to breath with these products.  I haven't quite mastered the art of cream blush application; however, I am sure I will only get better with time.  Some days I look healthy and pretty... other days I am sporting the flush of a five mile run in the dead of summer.  Whoops.  The good thing is the highlighter provides some margin for error since it can correct some of the color when I get the blush too close to my nose or eyes.



My one complaint is that since the foundation has such a luminous and light texture, it isn't the greatest at masking my dark under-eye circles (yet is fantastic at hiding little zit marks?  Riddle me that!).  However, the magnitude of my circles (due to my extremely porcelain skin essentially being see-through) is greater than most.  I have ordered samples of a few heavier products from Spirit Beauty Lounge to see if I can add a product exclusively for concealing to the mix.  All in all, I am VERY thrilled with my first attempt into the world of clean beauty.  It does a body good!


In other news, expect more quirkiness (!) from me as my new obsession starts permeating this blog - I am halfway through reading Ayurveda For Dummies and I find it all so fascinating.  My dosha is Pitta, a fiery perfectionist that has a tendency to stress out, speed through life and become envious easily.  Sounds about right.

Who is ready for the best day of the entire year tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment