Wednesday, January 2, 2013

An Ethnic Start to 2013

Betty's Recipe
Dumplings.  If there was ever an antithesis to the "gluten free" and low carb crazes, dumplings are it. Potatoes, flour and eggs.  They are so dense and decadent that my Croatian ancestors decided to claim eating dumplings, pork and sauerkraut would bring the indulger good luck in the New Year.  Therefore, each January 1st, my family enjoys a monochromatic plate of deliciousness.
Seriously?
The process is always the same: find Grandma's handwritten recipe card, decide that Grandma's recipe card is "lying" and is not truly the family receipe, pull out the vintage and embarrassing Woman's Glory: The Kitchen cookbook to compare the recipes, determine Grandma wasn't lying, and finally make the dumplings.

Slightly stumpy from the previous night's festivities, the cook mixes a "one to one to one" ratio of mashed potatoes, flour and eggs to make a dense dough, which is then rolled out, cut, boiled and fried in butter.  Pure heaven.  It is because of this tradition that my New Year's Resolutions never begin until January 2nd at the earliest (hey, they are always leftovers!).

I'm not sure if the meal truly brings good luck, but I am not willing to risk the potential ramifications that could come if I don't stuff my face with pillows of doughy happiness.

Does your family have any New Year's food traditions?

Today I am saying goodbye to Florida and returning to Cleveland.  Bye bye pool... until next time.



 

1 comment:

  1. I find myself laughing, nodding my head and being surprised in just about each one of your blog posts. You are such an amazing writer, an old soul and a young pup all rolled into the cutest dumpling. ;-)

    ReplyDelete