Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Few of My Fave Things - 1/10/13

My personality is one which forces me to strive to find the best of everything (for me, anyways).  I like knowing what works for me, because then I can always rely upon it.  This is true with cosmetics, stores, brand names, recipes, places, you name it.  They are essentially "Katy's fave things" (the word fave is used so I don't step on any copyright landmines).  Recently, I have found that when I share these fave things with people similar to myself, they truly appreciate being shown the way to the bandwagon upon which to jump.  Since busy season for us in public accounting began last week, I have been feeling a tad blue and run down.  Therefore, I decided this week's post should be uplifting and fun.  What could be more fun than writing about things I love?!

www.stylemint.com
Anyone who knows me is aware of my appreciation of Ashley Olsen and Mary Kate Olsen.  Laugh, scoff, roll your eyes... I don't care because I think they are fabulous.  Born business women, these peers of mine have transitioned through each phase of their lives in the spotlight with hardly a scratch and successful brands and companies to boot.  Their current fashion lines are spot on with my tastes season after season; however, I can only dream of affording items from The Row and only own Elizabeth and James if found on EBay or Gilt.  This is why I love StyleMint.  What started as an online subscription based t-shirt company has expanded to offer dresses, skirts, leggings, jeans, pants, jackets, sweaters, and (shortly) sunglasses!  Ashley and Mary-Kate are the figure heads of the brand and, per the website, are the head designers.  Every piece I've purchased from StyleMint has been of great quality and cutting edge style.  I love having a place to go for pieces that can go from the office to the weekend.  Most items start at just $30 with free shipping and new pieces are released each month.  Watch for my favorite: the mystery boxes!


www.masonpearson.com
I was not blessed with a good head of hair.  My hair is thin and there is a lot of it.  No matter how regularly I get trims and how much I avoid heat styling, my ends always look a little frazzled.  I have finally found my fave line of hair products (perhaps I will share in another post); however, what has me the most excited about my hair potential is a recent Christmas gift: a Mason Pearson boar bristle brush.  These puppies aren't cheap, but after a couple weeks of twice-daily brushing I am already noticing a difference in the look and feel of my hair.  The concept is that the boar bristles stimulate your scalp while distributing your natural oils evenly down the hair shaft leaving shiny healthy hair from root to tip.  I wash my hair only two to three times a week (it's healthier and saves you boat loads of time getting ready, I promise!) and this helps me stay fresh for longer.  I'm excited to see the results the longer I use it.  I'll keep everyone updated if my hair magically turns into Jennifer Aniston's!

www.jomalone.com
My last fave I am sharing is an oldie for me, but a goody.  I love perfumes and colognes.  I like changing my scent with my mood.  When I am feeling creative, classic, and in the mood for some high end quality, I always reach for my Jo Malone colognes.  Jo Malone began in London, was acquired in the late 1990's and expanded its lines and retailers ever since.  The newest spot to exercise your sniffer is Nordstrom.  Jo Malone specializes in "the art of fragrance combining" (its trademark).  The idea is for you to pick multiple colognes and combine them for a signature scent.  All in all, it convinces you to buy a plethora and have "play time" each time you get ready.  I am a "spicy" scent lover at heart, so one of my favorites is pomogranate noir.  I also love nectarine and honey blossom, black vetyver and cafe, red roses and grapefruit.  Don't even get me started on their bath oils and candles.  Blackberry and bay is the next on my "to buy" list.  A girl is to strive to own a bunch to mix and match with.  My problem?  I use them up before I justify buying another.  Sigh...

What are some things you can't live without?

1 comment:

  1. This is why we get along so well. Your fave things are like my fave things! I wear my Stylemint clothes to work, home and on dates. Great versatility.

    My newest fave things: Dry shampoo, circuit workouts, peach blush, and hopefully the BB cream that I just ordered this week. According to reviews, it should be my most favorite thing yet.

    ReplyDelete