Sunday, June 8, 2014

a self-focused summer


Something that I know for sure?  In the end, you really only have yourself.  Yes, you can fill your life with family, friends and mentors.  Allowing yourself to rely on others is important as it helps to share burdens and makes you accessible to loved ones in return.  The issue is that relationships change, people die and priorities shift.  The only relationship that is 100% guaranteed is the one you have with yourself, which is why it is so interesting that this is the relationship most neglect.

New workout program: Kayla Itsine's Bikini
Body Guide.  My face after day one… ouch.
I have recently felt disconnected from people in my life.  Most have become self-focused in order to concentrate on various life changes.  I felt forgotten until I realized that I could use this opportunity to also become self-focused.  In this spirit, I have been invoking changes to increase the happy and decrease the unhappy.  I am dialing back my spending because being broke makes me unhappy.  I started a new workout program because I missed feeling like a boss.  I am trying to say "yes" only to things that I want to say "yes" to.  I'm going outside as much as possible.  I am watching Full House reruns whenever they are on Nick@Nite.  I am conducting a thorough soul searching mission to identify what more can be done to get my joy back.

To fuel up for big life changes, I needed a big breakfast today.  However, my typical Sunday pancakes, high in refined carbohydrates, probably aren't the best foundation to support all my grand plans.  Therefore, I gave the new "it" breakfast a try.  The three ingredient pancake is all over the Internet and it was only a matter of time before I succumbed to the trend.

My favorite traditional pancake recipe is Barefoot Contessa's sour cream banana pancakes.  My 3-ingredient interpretation uses the same flavor profile.  Only problem?  My ingredient count is at five.  So here is Katy's Five Ingredient Three Ingredient Pancakes (say that five times fast… or three times fast… or five times three times fast?)


Ingredients: 
  • 1 medium banana (3/4 mashed, 1/4 small dice)
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • Spoonful of plain greek yogurt
  • Dash of vanilla extract
  • Almond meal (about 1/8 - 1/4 cup, just enough for pancake batter consistency)
Directions:
  1. Preheat greased pan over medium heat
  2. Combine eggs, mashed banana, yogurt and vanilla in small bowl, mix well
  3. Add almond meal slowly while mixing, stopping when desired consistency is reached
  4. Fold in diced banana, reserving a few pieces for garnish
  5. Pour batter into pan and cook pancakes until golden brown, then flip (time depends on your pancake size, mine took about 5 minutes)
  6. Plate pancakes, cover with desired toppings such as local organic maple syrup and 'nannies
Do you have any self improvement goals on the docket?

No comments:

Post a Comment